Saturday, March 19, 2011

Yellow Star






Last week in class, Meghan presented a new way of responding to texts that I really enjoyed. I think the different categories will help me "control" my thoughts and provide a better response of the text.  Therefore, I am going to give it another shot. 


First Reaction: Overall, I really enjoyed this text.  Enjoyed, not in the sense that I enjoyed the situation Syvia and her family were forced to live through, but enjoyed in the way the author told the story and shed light on the Holocaust.  The story Jennifer Roy illustrates is that of her aunt (who lived in Brighton, NY!!!). Roy tells the story in the first person narrative, she tells it from her aunt's perspective.  As a result, the story is very easy to read and would be perfect for young readers to read.


I have always been fascinated by the Holocaust. Growing up, I read all I could about Anne Frank. This book offers another perspective of the Holocaust. I find it amazing that both Anne Frank and Syvia have such strength at such young ages.

At four years-old Syvia and her family are forced to move into the Lodz Ghetto in Poland.  Readers witness Syvia grow up in this ghetto. We witness her "mature" and try to make sense of the situation her and other Jewish families are forced to live in. Readers witness the struggles her family and other families face each day while living in the ghetto.  Through a child's eyes (which makes it more heartbreaking), readers learn what life in the ghetto was like for Jewish families. When reading, I couldn't wait for the moment Syvia and her family were rescued. I kept reading in hopes that it would come soon. For me the rescue came with a couple turns of the pages, but for Syvia and other families, the rescue would come for many years. In fact, Syvia, her family and the other remaining families are rescued from the ghetto by the Russians when Syvia is almost ten years old.  I couldn't imagine spending the majority of my childhood in such a horrid environment. 

Feelings/Emotions: How do you feel about Syvia and her situation? It honestly boggles my mind that humans could be so cruel.  I think I am fascinated by the Holocaust because I am just utterly disgusted by the cruelty and inhumane acts done to Jewish families.  I think I read in search of answers.

As stated before, the book is told through Syvia's eyes which makes it more "difficult" to read.  I couldn't help but feel sad for Syvia and her family.  Syvia's strength and courage, surprised me and made me admire her. If placed in her situation, I don't think I would have had the will to survive.  Syvia faces starvation and death on a daily basis.  In one scene her father and her hide in a grave in order to keep Syvia from being forced on the train. At that point, I truly began to admire Syvia.  At such a young age she exudes such strength and determination to survive.  It is amazing to me. 

Perceptions: This story is based off of Jennifer Roy's aunts own encounters with the Holocaust.  Th

Associations: This text reminds me of The Diary of Anne Frank and could definitely be taught alongside it. 

Thoughts: Yellow Star, has made me take a step back and appreciate who I am. I realize I am privileged. Unfortunately, it has also made me question humanity.  How can people segregate and harm others based on their religion. What would I do, if I became the object of hate? What would I do if I was put in Syvia's shoes?

Author: Roy does a great job at "becoming" her aunt and telling her aunts story. By telling the story in the first person narrative, Roy allows the reader to "become" Syvia.  Readers grow with Syvia and experience the Holocaust through her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment