Last week in my other course (LTED 612), we discussed Graphic Novels so I was very excited to continue learning about them for this course. I have had prior experience with the genre of Graphic Novels but it wasn't until I started taking undergraduate courses In high school it was strictly classic literature. I have only read one Graphic Novel and the just happens to be Persepolis. In fact I have read it three times - once at SUNY Oswego for a history course. The second time at SUNY Brockport and here I am reading it again. After reading the text the second time, I began to realize the benefits of incorporating Graphic Novels into the classroom. Graphic Novels help to "hook" students. Students that seem uninterested in reading, will many times become interested in the content when they are presented with the Graphic Novel.
Alright, now time for my review of Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood. Persepolis is written by Marjane Satrapi. It is a memoir of Satrapi's own experiences during the Islamic Revolution. She tells her story through her own eyes and chooses to deliver it to her readers in graphic form. AND let me tell you, it is extremely effective! Through the use of words and visuals, readers are able to relate and feel a connection to Satrapi.
At the start of the novel, Satrapi is ten years old. Readers witness Satrapi's struggle with the changes in Iran from a young age (from the implementation of the veil, to her encounter with the guardians). We see Satrapi trying to make sense of all the changes that are happening around her. Readers witness the impact of the Islamic Revolution on Satrapi and her family. Satrapi's parents protest until it becomes to dangerous. As a result, Satrapi tries to figure out how to deal with these changes and tries to figure out her role in this "new" world that surrounds her.
There are several themes in this book - teenage rebellion, coming of age, family importance, and government control. Satrapi does a great job at conveying these messages to her readers in the Graphic Novel form. I truly feel that if Satrapi just wrote it as a memoir, it may not have been as effective for young readers. I truly believe, like I said above, that Graphic Novels are a great way to get readers "hooked." With the pictures, readers are able to see Satrapi's struggle with the Revolution; readers don't just read about the struggle. As a result, I connected to Satrapi. I was able to see her pain and see her struggle with several of the themes presented above. Persepolis is a must read for all! I can definitely see myself using this book in my future classroom because I think that this book is a great way to teach young adults about Iran and its history. It is also a great way to "hook" readers and maybe even bridge them to "higher-level" books.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Yes! On Carrie's blog entry about this book I cited a quote from an interview Satrapi made about why she chose to use IMAGES. It's a pretty powerful comment on the "truth" that images can provide which are not always equally acknowledged in words alone.
ReplyDeleteBy the way Heather, as I am sure you have spent a great deal of time with both HUNGER GAMES and 1984 over the last few weeks I certainly hope you don't leave your readers hanging too much longer.
ReplyDeleteOne in particular (myself, actually) is VERY interested to learn from your responses to both works and the ties that connect (dare I say, bind) them. One question I wanted to ask you (and if there is time I will do so tonight in class) is whether or not you think the Reading Ladder strategy could work in reverse.... what I mean is, if one were to read 1984 first and then read the Hunger Games Trilogy, do you think he/she would be an even "better reader/better able to comprehend" the denotations and connotations in HG?