First Reaction: How do I react to Parvana? To her situation? Parvana is such a strong young girl and I am amazed at the amount of perseverance and strength that she has to continue on with her life. In the Breadwinner, readers witness her becoming her family's sole provider, the breadwinner. She sacrifices who she is, a young girl, in order to do this. Now, in Parvana's Journey, readers witness Parvana struggling to survive and struggling to find her family.
Feelings/Emotions: How do you feel about Parvana and her situation? I honestly can't imagine going through what Parvana has gone through. I am still in shock and amazement about what Parvana had to "deal" with. I can't imagine life in Parvana's shoes. She exudes such strength and determination, much more than what would be expected of a girl her age, or for that matter anyone.
Perceptions: I definitely think that Parvana's experiences can and could be true. Afghanistan is no easy place to live, especially during war. It is even more difficult if one is female. Each day I watch the news, and I witness images from Afghanistan. Never once, did I put myself into the person's shoes. Not until Parvana's Journey. I think Ellis does a great job at portraying life under Taliban rule.
Associations: This text reminds me in a way of I am Nujood. I see similarities with Parvana and Anne Frank. Both girls are so strong.
Thoughts: Parvana's Journey has caused me to take a step back and be grateful for the life I live. I am lucky to be in the United States. I am lucky to have been born into the family I have been born into. Parvana's Journey caused me to be appreciative yet also made me understand that not everyone is as lucky as me.
Author: Ellis does a great job at portraying a young girl's life under Taliban rule.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment