Let me just start off by saying that I read Crank in a day. Once I opened it, I couldn't close it. I was seriously wrapped in the life of Kristina and I held onto every word that was said in the novel. As a result, I couldn't put Crank down.
Before I started reading Crank, I was a little apprehensive about reading this book, especially since I had no idea what a verse novel was. Too me, it sounded like a collection of poetry and I am not really a fan of poetry. Secondly, a novel about a young girls disastrous encounters with meth didn't seem like an "easy" or enjoyable read for my week "off." On top of that, knowing that Crank was loosely based off of Ellen Hopkins own daughter's experiences with meth, made me even more nervous to read. I wasn't ready to spend my vacation crying, but I buckled down, on the couch, with a box of tissues next to me (thanks for the warning Dr. Jones, they were definitely needed).
Right from the first line of the book, I was truly hooked. Hopkins writing is very easy to follow and east to understand (even if it is kind of like poetry in some ways). Through Hopkins style of writing I was able to put myself in Kristina's/Bree's shoes. I was able to connect with Kristina on an emotional level and began to feel sorrow as her life is slowly taken away with each "dose" of crank. The more involved she becomes involved in crank, the more her life begins to spiral down hill. Kristina goes from being a fifteen-year-old straight A student, to a self-destructive druggie whose alter ego Bree controls her life. Kristina even becomes pregnant! I was so shocked and so saddened as Kristina began losing herself and her sense of reality to the drug.
Kristina's story is loosely based off of Hopkins' own daughter's experience with drug abuse. Kristina can be any one of our students in our classrooms. Drug use is a major issue among teens and tweens across America. In fact, according to one website "80% of high school students and 44% of middle school students see drugs used and sold at school on any given day." The issue of drugs is not going anywhere and as educators we have to address it. There are so many negative outcomes that result from drug use. This book definitely sheds light on the negative results of using drugs. Too many teens think that they are invisible and that one small decision won't impact their life. However, Crank shows that one small decision can and will impact your life. Kristina was a straight-A student whose life was turned upside down with one snort of meth. Her life spirals downward as she becomes more and more addicted. Crank opened my eyes, and hopefully when used in a classroom, will open students' eyes and show them that the decisions they make will impact their lives, especially the decisions they make under the influence of drugs.
I think that this is the first book that I read this semester that actually still has me thinking about it well after I have closed the book. Dr. Jones always said that a good book changes you. While I don't think Crank has changed me, I think it got me thinking or in a state of continual reflection. I can't imagine living the life that Kristina did. Once I closed the book, I kept thinking about Kristina and her addiction. I kept thinking of how the drug ruined her life and how she was unable to finally control it. I kept thinking about how lucky I was to have steered clear of drugs or how lucky I was to avoid the addiction. I kept thinking about her becoming pregnant and what I would have done. This book makes you think!!! It is definitely a good book that should be recommended to all - parents, educators, and teens themselves!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I have to smile that you quoted me here Heather. However, I must say it sounds as if this book has changed you -- in that you are more sensitive and aware to the issues of Crank. You certainly demonstrate yourself as being fully engaged by the book! Nicely done.
ReplyDelete