Parvana's Journey, the second book of Deborah Ellis' trilogy, is just as moving and as shocking as the first book. In Parvana's Journey, Parvana's father has just died and she is all alone in a war stricken country without her family. After her father's death, Parvana begins her journey to find her mother and sister. Along the way Parvana discovers other children that have been effected by the war. She discovers Hassan, a baby boy whose mother is dead as a result of a bombing in their village. Parvana then finds Asif, a young boy who has been living in a cave. Last but not least, she comes across Leila, a young girl who has been living with her grandmother. It was definitely shocking for me, as a reader, to see these children struggling to survive on their own.
I definitely felt a connection to all four of these characters. Maybe it was my motherly instincts coming out, but I wanted to help them. I wanted to remove them from the lives they were forced to live.
All four of these characters (Parvana, Hassan, Asif, and Leila) have one thing in common- they have been torn apart from their families due to this war. Parvana, Hassan, and Leila are forced to become adults in order to take care of themselves and Hassan. While on their journey, these children become a family of their own. They care for one another and band together to protect one another. These children are surrounded by war on a daily basis, but they don't truly understand what is happening. Their innocence makes it even more difficult for the reader to witness what they are living through. This innocence makes the reader realize that they are kids. I think that sometimes while I was reading this book, I forgot that they were children because they execute such strength and perseverance.
This is definitely a must read for all young adults. I think young adults growing up in our society are unaware of what many children their own age in other countries have to face on a daily basis. Honestly, like I said with the Breadwinner, American's are constantly viewing images of other "third-world" countries, but how many of us have truly thought about what these people must go through. When American's do try to help, how effective is their help? In Parvana's journey we witness the characters at a refugee camp. At one point, there is a food delivery, but the food is delivered into a mind field!! How effective was that? I was shocked! I mean, seriously, do some research on the area. Delivering food into a mine field is terrible.
Overall, this book was great. Once I opened it, I could NOT put it down. It was mysterious yet action filled at the same time. I wanted to know what would happen to this pseudo family of children that are just trying to find their "real" families and trying to live. It was definitely an emotional journey for me. I am honestly still shocked as to how strong these children were. If it were me, I would have curled up in a corner.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I agree with your final comment Heather. I had bought the trilogy (all published as one book) and I could not put the trilogy down. It is an amazing journey both these young girls undergo as they strive to find a place they feel safe and respected.
ReplyDelete