Two words: Interesting AND engaging. These two words should be experienced by all students when reading a book. That is why as educators, we must incorporate young adult literature into our classrooms!!
I unfortunately, jumped into Cruise Control without having the opportunity of reading Trueman's companion book Stuck in Neutral. However, I learned quickly that Cruise Control is told from Paul's point of view. Paul is the older brother of Shawn, a young boy who suffers with cerebral palsy. Right from the beginning, Paul explains to his readers that he is the complete opposite of Shawn. Paul is a star athlete and can be described as a jock. Paul often struggles with the fact that he is so different from his brother. It almost seems like he is unable to cope with the fact that he is "normal" and not a "veg" like Shawn. It is not until the end of the book after many situations or conflicts, that Paul truly accepts who is and as a result who Shawn is.
Paul struggles with his emotions and is unable to really express them. As a result, he turns these suppressed emotions into aggression, resulting in fights with those that he loves and often times strangers. At one point readers even witness Paul driving drunk. I was quite shocked at this point and extremely surprised when nothing happened (Side note: I was definitely on the edge of my seat and began speeding up my reading to see what would happen). Even with some of the intense scenes or moments in the book, I feel that this a good book for young adults to read. Many young adults may not know what is like to live with a person like Shawn. However, I believe that this book teaches students to accept each others differences. As a teacher that is certified in special education, I often witness many other students get uncomfortable around the students with special needs. Often times, these students refuse to understand and get to know these students with special needs. As an educator is saddening. To Paul, it is upsetting. Maybe after reading this book, students will understand and begin to accept those that are "different" from them.
After last weeks class, I couldn't help to think about the author and what motivated him to write two books about a disabled young boy. Why would Trueman write about a young boy, Paul, living his life with his disabled brother Shawn? After some quick research I discovered the Trueman's own son, Sheehan suffers from cerebral palsy. Is the book a reflection of Trueman's own struggles and feelings? I have often been told that writing is a great way to let one's emotions out. Is this the case with Trueman?

No comments:
Post a Comment