After constantly hearing all my friends talk about The Hunger Games, I finally understand why they were so adamant about having me read it. The Hunger Games is a dystopian novel that is set in the future. Katniss Everden, the main character, is a young girl that is forced to participate in this year's hunger game. The Hunger Games, are controlled by the dominant Capitol. Each year two children from each district are put into a lottery to participate in the Hunger Games. These children then fight against one another, killing one another, until one winner remains. The last child alive wins a life of basically luxury. Luxury is only experienced by the elite that live in the Capitol. The rest of the districts are forced to live in poverty.
The Hunger Games are broadcasted, and members of each community watch the games play out. I honestly couldn't help but compare this to reality television. Although I don't watch people kill one another on reality television, I can tell you that each week I am addicted to seeing what plays out on MTV's Jersey Shore. The Hunger Games are like Survivor, but with a deadly twist. Katniss and the other children put into the The Hunger Games develop this celebrity status.
This is truly an awesome book, and I now understand why my friends have developed a unit on this book. I could not put this book down and I couldn't help but put myself into Katniss's shoes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment