Monday, April 11, 2011

The Dark Days of Day Hamburger Halpin: Checkpoint #1

Alright, so I have finally made it to checkpoint #1 of The Dark Days of Hamburger Halpin.  One of my first questions while reading, was where is the mystery? What is going to happen? AND then it came, and I certainly didn't see it coming. I never expected anyone to be killed.  However, now I am wondering- who did it.  I have my hunches, but I could be wrong.

Devin and Will take it upon themselves to investigate and figure out who committed the crime.  They have several suspects, but I don't really agree with some of them.  I have a different person in mind - Leigha Pennington. I know, I know, she is the most popular girl in the school, why would she do it?  But then again, why wouldn't she? I guess I will just have to see how it all plays out. 

I love Will as a narrator. He is hilarious and really allows the reader to experience what it is like to be deaf.  I love the authors choice to have words omitted when Will is trying to read lips.  It really allows readers to put themselves in Will's shoes.  Will is not your typical narrator and I think that is why I like him.  Will is also very real.  He is overweight and picks fun at himself.  He has a great sense of humor and in a way he is just like every other teenage boy.  He is interested in the girls and his hormones definitely have the best of him at moments. 

I can't wait to continue reading the novel.  It has sparked my interest again in the mystery genre. I honestly think I have almost every book of the Nancy Drew collection.  Mystery is definitely my forte.  However, I think I have this case solved!

1 comment:

  1. I love the intensity of this entry Heather! This IS exactly what happens to us when our curiosity/inquisitive minds "need to know."

    Have fun as you continue to read!

    ReplyDelete